The election of members to the NAPE/AFSCME Local 61 Board of Directors will take place by mail, in accordance with the NAPE/AFSCME Local 61 Bylaws, during March 2023. A full copy of the union bylaws is available here. Ballots will be sent to all members in good standing on March 3, 2023, and must be received in the NAPE/AFSCME Local 61 office no later than Noon on March 31, 2023. If the number of nominees is equal to or less than the number of positions available, those nominees will be declared elected.
Members may nominate themselves or another eligible member. Nominations must be received prior to Noon central time on February 17, 2023.
Nominations will also be accepted verbally, in person, at a nominations meeting on Tuesday, February 14, 2023 at 5:30pm at the Lincoln Firefighters Reception Hall (241 Victory Lane, Lincoln).
POSITIONS TO BE ELECTED
- Northern Area Representative (1)
- Works in Antelope, Boone, Boyd, Burt, Cedar, Colfax, Cuming, Dakota, Dixon, Garfield, Greeley, Holt, Howard, Knox, Madison, Nance, Pierce, Platte, Sherman, Stanton, Thurston, Valley, Wayne, or Wheeler counties in Bargaining Unit A, C, E, H, I, S, M, or X
- Southern Area Representative (1)
- Works in Adams, Buffalo, Dawson, Franklin, Furnas, Gosper, Harlan, Hall, Kearney, Phelps, or Webster counties in Bargaining Unit A, C, E, H, I, S, M, or X
- Eastern Area Representative (1)
- Works in Butler, Clay, Fillmore, Gage, Hamilton, Jefferson, Johnson, Merrick, Nemaha, Nuckolls, Otoe, Pawnee, Polk, Richardson, Saline, Saunders, Seward, Thayer, or York counties in Bargaining Unit A, C, E, H, I, S, M, or X
- Western Area Representative (1)
- Works in Arthur, Banner, Blaine, Box Butte, Brown, Chase, Cherry, Cheyenne, Custer, Dawes, Deuel, Dundy, Frontier, Garden, Grant, Hayes, Hitchcock, Hooker, Keith, Keya Paha, Kimball, Lincoln, Logan, Loup, Morrill, McPherson, Perkins, Red Willow, Rock, Sioux, Scotts Bluff, Sheridan, or Thomas counties in Bargaining Unit A, C, E, H, I, S, M, or X
- Omaha Area Representative (1)
- Works in Cass, Dodge, Douglas, Sarpy or Washington counties in Bargaining Unit A, C, E, H, I, S, M, or X
- Lincoln Area Representatives (2)
o Works in Lancaster County in Bargaining Unit A, C, E, H, I, S, M, or X
- Department of Education Representative (1)
o Works under the Nebraska Department of Education Contract, Unit EDB
- Richardson County Representative (1)
o Works under the Richardson County Roads contract
- State Colleges Representative (1)
o Works under the Nebraska State College System contract
- Supervisory Representative (1)
o Supervisory Unit member who works in a “V” job classification
- DHHS Representatives (2)
- Works for DHHS in Unit A, C, E, H, I, M, S, or X
- NDOT Representative (1)
o Works for NDOT in Unit A, C, E, H, I, M, S, or X
- State Agency Representatives (3)
- Works in Unit A, C, E, H, I, M, S, or X at any state agency except DHHS or NDOT
- At-Large Representatives (3)
o Any union member except those working in a “V” job classification
In order to run for office, the union member must meet the qualifications as described above, as well as be an active member in good standing since March 31, 2022.
Newly elected Board members will be seated on June 10, 2023 at 9am in Lincoln and will serve a two-year term. Board members are also automatic delegates to the 2023 Delegate Assembly.
ABOUT THE BOARD
The Board of Directors meets in person quarterly. Typically, meetings are held from 9am-3pm in Lincoln on a Saturday in August, November, February, and June. Board members traveling more than 60 miles to the meeting are reimbursed for their mileage and are housed in a hotel the evening before the meeting. Additional meetings (including by phone) may be held as called by the President or the majority of Board members.